Again, a grab-bag of god-awful:
1. We can thank you-know-who for this, along with a recent wave of threats to Jewish places of worship. The passengers in this NYC subway car then removed the anti-semitic graffiti. Thank you New Yorkers!
2. Immigration/Refugee ban: It was a wild weekend (and I don’t mean the Super Bowl), with most attention focused on the Federal court stay of the immigrant/refugee ban. A State of Washington federal judge issued the stay, saying that the ban was not based on any factual (vs. fictional) evidence. Trump’s Twitter response was to call him a “so-called” judge:
This is from CNN reporter Dean Obeidallah:
“Donald Trump’s most bone-chilling tweet
On Saturday morning, President Donald Trump may have unleashed his most bone-chilling tweet — at least to those who believe the United States should not become a Trump-led dictatorship. And I don’t make that comment simply to be provocative or without giving it a great deal of thought. Our democracy is far more fragile than some might grasp and Trump is engaging in a concerted effort to undermine the workings of it.
3. Bowling Green Massacre and other lies: In an interview, Kellyanne Conway made reference to a massacre that occurred in Bowling Green, KY, saying that it wasn’t reported. It, in fact, never happened. And last week, Sean Spicer stated that Iran had attacked a US warship. That was false, as well. And let’s not forget “alternative facts”. Here’s what Dan Rather has to say about the lying that is coming out of the White House: “What can we do? We can all step up and say simply and without equivocation. “A lie, is a lie, is a lie!” And if someone won’t say it, those of us who know that there is such a thing as the truth must do whatever is in our power to diminish the liar’s malignant reach into our society.” Dan Rather
4. Russia/US moral equivalency: When confronted, in an interview about how he regards Putin, with the statement that Putin is a “killer”, Trump’s response was that so are we. While such honesty may be welcomed by the Left, it was in the service of proposing that the US is no better than Russia – and, it would appear, that he (Trump) is not so uncomfortable about killing, here or in Russia.
5. Dodd-Frank: The administration has begun to dismantle the Dodd-Frank Act, which has protected consumers from corporate/Wall Street malfeasance.
6. FBI investigation: “Democratic House Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) shook up Super Bowl Sunday by demanding a full FBI probe into what the Russians have on President Trump during an interview on Meet The Press.” (PoliticusUSA)